Metering Protocal Laboratory
The implementation of Open Protocol for Static Energy Meter / Smart Meter is one of the most essentially required key features in present scenario for implementation of Automatic Meter Reading (AMR), Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) and Smart Grid across the country to ensure interoperability of Energy meters.
The open protocol based on IEC 62056 helps to overcome most of the challenges regarding data acquisition of utilities, uniformity and homogeneity among various energy meter manufacturers in India.
Subsequently, BIS has formulated India Companion Specification (ICS) and published
- IS: 15959 (Part 1): 2011- “Data exchange for electricity meter reading, tariff and load control – Companion specification” (Part 1 for Static Energy Meters).
- IS: 15959 (Part 2): 2016 (Smart Meters) as part of IS 16444 (Part 1): 2015
- IS: 15959 (Part 3): 2017 (Transformer operation Smart meters) – “Data exchange for electricity meter reading, tariff and load control- Companion specification for Smart meters” as part of IS 16444 (Part 2): 2017.
This companion specification covers Indian specific requirements for design of open protocol energy meters / smart meters. The open protocol for Static & Smart Energy meter formulated as ICS will also serve as the backbone for Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI).
In order to meet the above mentioned DLMS protocol testing requirements of utilities and meter manufacturer’s, CPRI has established comprehensive state-of-art technology ‘Metering protocol Laboratory’ at Bengaluru, Bhopal and Noida Units. By using latest versions of Conformance Test Tool – CTT and Functional Evaluation Tool – FET both Static Energy Meters and Smart Meters will be verified for their compliance respectively. Additionally, Communicability for Smart Meters can also be verified.
The laboratory’s testing and developmental assistance services has been utilized by many Indian / overseas manufacturers, Utilities, Integrators etc.
CPRI is a member of DLMS UA (Device Language Message Specification User Association), Geneva. The CPRI Test Reports will carry the logo of DLMS UA as shown below.
Our Metering Protocol Laboratory has been duly accredited by (i) NABL as per the Standard ISO/IEC 17025:2005 and (ii) BIS for its testing activities for DLMS/ COSEM with respect to relevant Standards and the major tests carried out are listed below:
Conformance Test in general accordance with IEC 62056
The purpose of the DLMS/ COSEM (IEC 62056) conformance certification scheme is to validate that the Implementation under Test (IUT) correctly implements the features selected from the features available in the DLMS/ COSEM specification.
As part of testing, CPRI has DLMS/ COSEM test facility for Energy meters (Static and Smart Meters) supporting HDLC, TCP-IP based (wired and wireless) communication profiles including security layers for data level protection in Smart meters.
Parameter verification in general accordance with various ICS for Energy meters (Static and Smart meters)
Parameter verification is carried out using Functional Evaluation Tool (FET) an automated TEST tool in accordance with IS 15959 (Part 1): 2011, Part 2: 2016 and Part 3: 2017 and as part of IS 16444 (Part 1): 2015 and IS 16444 (Part 2): 2017. The tool verifies the parameters implemented in the meters to be in line with the ICS. FET can access all the associations (PC, MR, US for static meter and PC, MR, US, PUSH, Firmware Upgrade & IHD for Smart meter) to read / write / modify the data.
- Object list download
- Association properties
- Simultaneous operation
- Lowest level security secret
- Low level security (LLS) secret
- High level security (HLS) secret
- Instantaneous parameters
- Snap shot of instantaneous parameters
- Scaler profile
- Block load profile Parameters
- Selective access by range for block load profile
- Daily load profile parameters
Test cases supported by FET for Smart Meter – in addition to all above test cases
- Smart meter association requirements
- In home display services
- Push services
- Advanced security profile
- Communication profile
- Firmware upgrade
- Connect/ disconnect services
- Load limit
- Selective access by range for daily load profile
General purpose parameters
- Name plate details
- Programmable parameters
- ToU setting
- Billing Period
- Billing Period Counter
Event code and event logging
- Voltage related
- Current related
- Power related
- Transaction related
- Other (magnet event, neutral disturbance, low power factor, low frequency)
- Non roll over
- Selective access by Entry for event log profile
Mr. Harinath Babu P.V.
Joint Director / HoD
Metering and Utility Automation Division
Mob: +91 9425675081
Ph: +91-80-2207 2311