Impulse and Power Frequency Laboratory
The EHV test laboratory consists of an indoor laboratory and an outdoor laboratory test bay. Indoor laboratory is a high voltage test hall of dimensions 50mX40mX35m housing a 3MV, 150kJ impulse generator, a rain making equipment and power frequency testing transformers of ratings a) 150kV, 75kVA. b) 100kV, 50mA and c) 600kV, 2000kVA.
The outdoor test bay consists of a 1800kV, 2000kVA cascade transformer comprising of three 600kV, 2000kVA transformer units. All these transformer units and the 600kV, 2000kVA transformer located in the indoor test hall are all similar for the convenience of inter changeability. The AC test voltage up to 800kV from the outdoor bay can be taken into the high voltage test hall by means of a wall bushing. Suitable arrangements are available to mount all types of 550kV class insulator strings on conductors for testing. Material handling facility includes a 24 ton (boom end max), 1 ton (with boom in telescopic mode) mobile crane &5 ton fork lift.
Major test, measurement and calibration equipment available are:
- Impulse voltage generator of 3 million volts. 150 kJ
- Power frequency Cascade Transformers setup of 1800kV(ie. 3 nos. of 600 kV each)
- Power frequency Transformers one each of 50 kV & 100 kV, 150 kV
- 550 kV Partial discharge free coupling capacitor
- 400kV, 2400pF RIV free coupling capacitor
- High Resolution impulse Analysing system of 120 M samples/ sec per channel. (Totally 4 channels).
- 1GHz Steep front impulse measuring system.
- One meter sphere gap capable of measuring of 1MV (Impulse & Power frequency voltages) as per standards.
- Artificial rain equipment (small & big)
- 50 tonne Universal Testing Machine
- 500 KN Thermo mechanical chamber
- Hot & Cold bath for temperature cycle test upto 220kV
- Reference voltage divider 180 kV, AC/DC, 500 kV LI/SI
- Reference Impulse calibrator.